This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Towel rails are one of the important pieces of equipment in the bathroom. When you purchase them, they make your bathroom beautiful. However, with time, they begin to rust, as such, we’ll be discussing the popularly asked question “Why do towel rails go rusty?”
Towel rails go rusty due to the heat produced by the electric pubs which heat the damp towels positioned on them. The pubs in-between and underside naturally start to rust because of the precipitation from the towels.
Also, lack of maintenance could cause your towel rails to get rusty. Rust is a common issue with towel rails, however, the rust can be removed when noticed.
Having known the reason why towel rails go rusty, let’s get right into how you can remove the rust from the rails.
In a Hurry? Don’t go without checking this TRENDING Topic Out - 6 Best Towels For Blackstone Griddle In 2022 out
How do I remove the rust from my towel rails?
Maintaining your towel rails is one way you can stop your towel rails from getting rusty, as not maintaining them could cause them to also relinquish their glimmers.
Regardless, you can still remove rust from the rails when they are on them. You’d be needing a few materials to get the rust off and to maintain the rails. Below are the materials and steps.
- Aluminium tin foil.
- An old toothbrush.
- White vinegar.
- Mild laundry detergent.
- A few microfiber washcloths.
Step 1: Switch off the heater
Switching off the heater is important as the rails need to be cool before you can do any cleaning on it.
Step 2: Rub down the rail
Before you start with the rust and the cleaning procedure, ensure you clean off the general dust or dirt on the rail. In this step, you’d need your washcloth, water, and mild soap.
Pour the soap into a bucket of water, dip the washcloth into the soapy water, and squeeze the water out of the washcloth.
Then, use the washcloth to rundown the rail to clean off any germs laying on the rails as a result of the towels. Wash the rail again with clean water to take off any soapy streaks on the rails.
Step 3: Eliminate the rust
Finally, at the main part which is eliminating the rust, put the same amount of vinegar and water in a small container. Lemon juice could be of help, so you can squeeze a little into the mixture.
Put a neat microfibre washcloth into the mixture, then wipe down the whole rail. While removing the rust, you have to clean the sides of the rails, to do this, put the old toothbrush into the mixture to wash the corners.
You can sprinkle baking soda on all the rust and let it settle for some time, then use the washcloth to clean it.
Step 4: Scrub the rail with aluminium foil
If after using the white vinegar mixture and the rust is still evident, the aluminium tin foil will do the trick. Nb- do not use any other thing aside from the aluminium tin foil as the tin foil is softer and would be gentle on the rail. The aluminium tin foil will eliminate the rust from the rail without damaging it.
Proceed by cutting the aluminium tin foil into small pieces and compressing the smears into loose balls. Put some water into a bowl, dip the foil in it, then scratch the rust on the rail.
Doing this will result in a chemical effect in-between the water and metal to generate an aluminium oxide that will soften the rust.
Step 5: Rinse the rail
After removing the rust, you’d be left with a dirty surface as a result of the removal. Take another clean microfiber washcloth and put it in clean water. Proceed by squeezing out excess water from the washcloth and cleaning the rail.
Step 6: Dry the rail
Once the rail is clean, you should dry the rail properly with a clean and dry washcloth. Do not let the rail air dry, or else you’d be left with water streaks on it after it has dried.
How long should a towel rail last?
A towel rail should last for more than six years. Anything below six years means a poor product. Even when you purchase a towel rail, it comes with a longer year guarantee of about 10 years to 25 years. However, the longevity of your towel rail will depend on the type you purchased.
Which towel rail can I purchase?
There are amazing towel rails that you can purchase to dry your towels in the bathroom. Below are the towel rails you can purchase.
1. TocTen Bath Towel Bar
This towel rail was made thickened to dry heavy towels in the bathroom. It has amazing features that make it one of the best. Below are the features.
- Thicken material- This rail was made with 304 stainless steel Thicken material. It is heavy-duty and does not rust.
- Durable and Seamless attachment- It is a concealed screw wall-mounted towel rail. It was produced to look more modern and amazing with hex screws that are Reinforced to stop it from rotating. Also, it is durable.
- Versatile and easy to fix- All the screws needed to fix the towel rail easily have been provided in the package. Also, the installation user guide is included in the package. You can also email the brand for the installation video.
- Saving space and fashion design- The fashion design would make the towel rail look like a new product even after many years of use. It is suitable for your kitchen, washbasin, closets, cabinets, bathroom, and so on.
- Thicken and high-quality material.
- Easy to fix and maintain.
- Long-lasting after long years of use.
- Multi-purpose and very sturdy.
- The Size might be misleading.
- Hardware might not be of use.
2 Pack Adjustable 16 to 27.6 Inch Single Towel Bar
Another towel rail you can purchase for your use is this stainless steel holder. Below are the features of this rail.
- Retractable size and material- This is a two-pack retractable towel rail with a size ranging from 16 inches to 27.8 inches to meet your need for a large space. It was made with satin-brushed nickel-finished 304 stainless steel for long-lasting strength and quality.
- Concealed mount design- The design of the mount is concealed which warrants easy installation at any length and any angle. Also, it allows you to cover any unsightly screw holes and continue a clean, sleek trend to your bath and shower.
- Easy to fix- The rail has screws that can be mounted to the wall of your kitchen, closet, bathroom, and so on. Also, it has an accessory pack and user guide for easy installation.
- Strong, durable, and contemporary design- This towel rail design is so simple yet stylish for your bathroom or kitchen. The style is never out of date and it’s reliable.
- Retractable size and material.
- Easy to install and maintain.
- Strong, versatile, and durable.
- Enough size for your towel.
- Two sets.
Why are my bathroom fixtures rusting?
Your bathroom fixtures are rusting due to plate damage from scratch to dent, then the underneath comes in contact with moisture and oxygen in the air.
Nonetheless, you do not have to worry anymore about this rust as you can remove them with some household items such as vinegar, baking soda, toothbrush, tin foil, and do in. You should also get your rails dried and treated to remove recent rust.
Can electric towel rail overheat?
Yes, the electric towel rail can overheat, but you can turn it off or reduce it. If the electric towel rail is still very hot, you can slightly reduce it to settle the problem.
However, an electric towel rail was made to be left on at all times, plus there are no security issues if you want to keep it operating. A regular electric towel rail would turn on and off by the major prominent heating strategy.
Conclusion – Why Do Towel Rails Go Rusty?
The moisture excreted from your towel and air could make your towel rails and some other bathrooms or kitchen fixtures go rusty.
Rusting is so common, but you can eliminate them when they are seen. However, maintaining your towel rail and other fixtures can prevent them from rusting.
Some towel rails are rustproof, and I’ve recommended some of them in this article. Kindly click on the link to check the price. You shouldn’t worry much as they are affordable. Please put down your comment, suggestion, and observation in the comment section below. Cheers…